Thursday, October 7, 2010

interview of lois lowery

What led you to write The Giver?
In 1992, my mother and my father, both in their late 80s, were residents of the same nursing home in Staunton, VA. My mother was blind and very frail but her mind was completely intact. My father was healthier, physically, but his memory was going. I would frequently fly down from Boston to see them. On one particular visit, my mother wanted to tell me the stories about her life. I sat and listened to her talk about her childhood, her college years, and her marriage to my dad. In the course of retelling those anecdotes, she related the details about the death of her first child, my sister Helen, clearly her saddest memory. But she wanted to retell it.  /www.schoollibraryjournal.com/article/CA6448190.html
 
 I thought this was very intersting and very meaning ful. In this interview Lois Lowery talks about some things many dont like to talk about like the death of her sister. I can tell from this interview Lois Lowery is very strong and has many good stories. In the giver i can see how it relates to her real life and the things she went through


3 comments:

  1. I like how you took a whole interview on how Lois Lowry's life and showed it, I can now tell how the author is a strong person.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the author not being afraid about telling about some rough things that happened in her life really just tells you about how strong the author is, good note

    ReplyDelete